Thursday, August 11, 2011

Surgery Update...

Colten had what we hope is his final surgery for a LONG while this week. On Tuesday they went in and did some thing to his little boy parts. He really wasn't nervous or anything before. He got up that morning wanted to know if he was going to have to have a shot when he got there and when I told him the medicine they were giving him would put him to sleep before his shot he was fine. We went to the surgical center and he did wonderful. He pulled through his surgery just fine and we were home about 1 that afternoon. He did really well until about 7:30 that night and then I think the "strong" pain meds wore off and he was in some serious pain. It was beyond awful. He screamed from 7:30 until midnight. He finally fell asleep around 2am and then we had to get him up at 4 to give him some more pain meds. BIG mistake! I finally decided that I had had more than I could take (seriously he was in SO much pain on pain killers) and took him to the ER. The ER doctor took one look at him and completely agreed it should not be as bad as it was. He gave him some numbing cream to put on his incisions and it helped immediately! I was so thankful for that. We then doubled his does of pain killers and that really helped manage the pain. He is on the max dose but we are trying to wing him. He laid around pretty much all day yesterday and last night was about a million times better! We all got some MUCH needed rest (Yes Justin is still sick) last night. Today he is with Grandma and seems to be doing better and wanting to do more. Just hope he continues to improve. I'm so glad this is behind us. There is NO way I could have done this with a new baby around. I hate to seem him in pain but am thankful we won't have to think about it again until his teenage years! Here are some pictures from the last couple of days.
Here is Miss Aubrey blowing kisses to her brother in hopes that his surgery was going great. She was headed to school for the day!

Colten was in a great mood that morning!


Getting ready to head back to surgery!


After surgery trying to wake up still!



During our 4am trip to the ER. My heart broke for him. I had NEVER seen anyone in so much pain. I hate that helpless feeling you get when your child is hurting and there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to take the pain a way.


Here is my boy this morning. Back to being much happier! I hope that we finally have his pain figured out and he can go on being a normal four and a half year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment